Pages

November 26, 2011

Infusing Oils


The oils look so pretty on my window sill--even on a gloomy day.

It's up for debate on whether or not herbal properties survive the lye process. The fragrance rarely does, but I'm planning on doing hand-milling  (or re-batching) and hoping at least some of the good stuff survives.
In any case, I want all my soap to contain at least some herbs that I grew in The Readers' and Writers' Subplot, so all my olive oil is getting infused. And I've read that it is a good way to get some color (wonderful info at Lovin Soap).
I'm especially excited about using the annatto seed oil. What a great orange color and the seeds contain emollients.  I didn't grow them though. It's a bit of a cheat.



If you like this blog, check out my new one: The Haley Maxwell Soap Making Mysteries