Pages

July 3, 2012

Experiment with Melt and Pour #1: Hibiscus

Olive oil infused with hibiscus. Beautiful, isn't it?

I'm going to start out by saying that I'm not a really big fan of melt and pour soap: it's kinda pricey, it's a pain in the butt to work with and it doesn't seem very natural as far as the ingredients go.   

But I bought some to try and make hibiscus soap. A friend of mine gave me some powdered hibiscus, "Can you make this into some soap? I love the color."
I told her that I love color too, but from what I'd read hibiscus is pH dependable and it'll turn brown in the presence of lye.
"Well, just try."
So I infused the oil and bought the melt and pour thinking that since it's 'pre-made' the PH might not morph the color.
Alas, no. It turned a bluish color and then I got this:

Not a bad color if you like tan...
So much for hibiscus.