Pages

December 20, 2011

Gardeners' Soap: Lavender, Rosemary and Lemon Balm


Gonna leave a bar of this in Oasis in the spring (will it ever come?).

I made this soap with gardening in mind. I always get filthy when I garden (I always forget my gloves and I love getting down and dirty anyway), so added some ground cornmeal to the lemon balm for scrubbiness. And rosemary is said to be good for aching muscles.

Tried hot process on this one with the lavender balls and made the balls as soon as the soap was cool enough to handle.  I kneaded in shea butter for extra conditioning and ground lavender for interest.

I've decided I'm not a huge fan of hot process. It's OK, but kinda scary in a way and takes so much more time. It was useful though to make the balls so I could add them the next day to the cold process rosemary base.

Ingredients:

Rosemary Base: coconut oil, olive oil (infused with rosemary), soybean oil, cottonseed oil, palm kernel oil, castor oil, distilled water (infused with spirulina and lye. Fragranced with rosemary essential oil.

Lavender Balls: olive oil (infused with lavender), cotton seed oil, palm kernel oil, castor oil, shea butter, ground lavender,  distilled water and lye.   Fragranced with lavender essential oil.

Lemon Balm Top Layer: olive oil (infused with lemon balm), cotton seed oil, palm kernel oil, castor oil, distilled water and lye.   Fragranced with bergamot essential oil.  Also contains cornmeal.