Pages

November 30, 2012

Black, No Sugar


The best part of waking up

Anybody who knows me knows I love coffee. In fact my radio name during my college days at WBNY was The Coffee Orphan. I can't imagine life without it.

So coffee soap was inevitable.

And this is a triple treat. I infused olive oil with coffee for six weeks, used brewed coffee in place of water to dissolve the lye and added ground coffee at trace.

I added just a little bit of citrusy essential oils to compliment the coffee aroma—which does come through.

So what does coffee do for your skin? Well, according to stuff I've read on the internet, it's great for absorbing odors. I do know it works for cleansing your smelling pallet. You'll usually find a dish of coffee beans at fragrance stores.

The ground coffee works as a fantastic exfoliate and coffee oil is very similar to the PH in our skin, so it will leave your skin feeling soft and silky.

Other benefits I read about:  It's used to fight acne, eczema and psoriasis; reduce skin redness and under eye puffiness; repair cell and sun damage and minimize cellulite and varicose veins.

I have no idea how much of that is true, but it does smell wonderful in the shower and gives me another way to enjoy my favorite beverage.

Ingredients:
olive oil infused with coffee
coconut oil
shea butter
palm kernel oil
castor oil
coffee made with NYC tap water
coffee grounds

Fragrance:
lemon, orange and may chang essential oils





If you like this blog, check out my new one: The Haley Maxwell Soap Making Mysteries